New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety
2021 “Design Your Own Destiny” Contest
Contest Explanation and Rules
Contest Submission Start Date: 10/1/2021
Contest Submission Deadline: 12/1/2021
The New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety seeks to create awareness on its new “Take Control of Your Destiny” distracted driving awareness campaign through a steering wheel design contest open to New Jersey citizens ages 15 and up.
Contestants will use a provided steering wheel template to design a steering wheel depicting one of the reasons that they choose to take control of their destiny by never driving distracted. Existing campaign examples, pictured below, include going to college, traveling the world, playing music, and having a family.
Citizens are encouraged to use any medium they’d like to design their steering wheel – crayons, colored pencils, paint, computer design software such as Photoshop, collage, etc. Please note, finished template submission must be submitted in PDF format.
There will be two winning steering wheel designs selected from the following age groupings:
- One winner from ages 15-21
- One winner from ages 21 and over
The two winning wheels will be posted on the Division of Highway Traffic Safety’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram social media channels with the corresponding winner’s name and hometown.
Terms and Conditions
- Submissions will be judged by officials from the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety.
- No submissions will be reviewed until the submission window has closed.
- Late submissions will not be accepted.
- One submission per person or group.
- Entrees will be judged on creativity, quality of design, and ability to create awareness on distracted driving and inspire others to never drive distracted.
- Do not break any laws while creating entries.
- Teachers and adults, while encouraged to submit their own steering wheel design, should refrain from helping students on their wheel designs.
- Wheel designs should refrain from utilizing names, photos of people, logos of any kind, suggestive or offensive images or words, etc. in all entries.
- All participants must complete a fully executed Submission Form, including a certification that: (1) the participant is not related to any person employed by the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety; and (2) all materials constituting their submission, including all artwork are their original work and that no other person or entity has any rights to those materials.
- Submission Form, Release Form and project should be emailed (all in PDF format only) to: Public Information Assistant, New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety at at email@example.com by 11:59 PM on 12/1/21. Please title your submission with “I chose to take control of my destiny by never driving distracted because _____________ (and fill in the blank.) Submissions not including this information or not in PDF form will be disqualified.
- All participants must submit a fully executed Release Form, signed by them and, if they are under 18, by their parent or legal guardian, providing the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety the permissions, releases, and licenses outlined in the accompanying “Permission and Consent to Photograph and/or Use Image, Release of Claims, & License to Use Intellectual Property” (the “Permission, Release, & License”).
- Participants must follow applicable laws and school rules while creating entries.
- All participants grant to the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety and its employees, officers, and agents all rights of every kind in and to the Material that appears in or constitutes any submission, including without limitation, the right to copy, edit, alter, modify, use, distribute, and exploit the Material throughout the world an unlimited number of times, in perpetuity in any and all media, now known or invented in the future, for any purpose in the Department’s discretion.
- Winners will be announced in January 2022
- Those who do not follow the above rules will be disqualified.
- All judges’ decisions final.