The Department of Law and Public Safety is pleased to announce that on July 19, 2023, the Division of Law issued a Request for Qualifications (“RFQ”) for Special Counsel for Medical Malpractice Litigation. The State of New Jersey frequently hires law firms as outside counsel to represent the State in litigation, bond, and other legal matters. The RFQ will lead to a list of qualified firms from which retention decisions will be made. The term of the Special Counsel designation made pursuant to this RFQ will be from the notification that the firm has been designated and approved as Special Counsel for Medical Malpractice Litigation until a new list of firms is designated and approved for the same practice area, and for a sufficient period to complete all matters for which the firm has been retained
Legal organizations must apply for the new RFQ using a new online application tool located at
- Paper applications will no longer be accepted.
- Potential applicants are encouraged to review the video of the training webinar on the application process and the new online tool recorded on October 11, 2022.
- The Attorney General will accept questions pertaining to this RFQ from all potential bidders electronically. Questions shall be directed to Michael C. Walters, Deputy Director, Division of Law at email@example.com. Please note that the subject line of your e-mail must specifically reference this RFQ as follows: “Special Counsel RFQ for Medical Malpractice Litigation.” Questions will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. on August 1, 2023.
- The RFQ Submission Portal will not be operational until after the RFQ question and answer period has ended, and submissions will be accepted beginning August 4, 2023.
- Submissions will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. on August 31, 2023, after which the RFQ Submission Portal will close
The new RFQ and online application process are part of a number of new initiatives for outside counsel that began in fall 2022. The Division created a new emailing list registration link for outside counsel news, including new RFQs. The Division’s Outside Counsel Guidelines were updated and became effective on November 1, 2022.
Additional RFQs for other subject areas will follow. The Division of Law looks forward to receiving and reviewing applications from qualified law firms.