Isa M. Abbassi, Officer in Charge
Isa M. Abbassi, a twenty-five-year veteran of the New York City Police Department (NYPD) and its former Chief of Strategic Initiatives, serves as the Officer in Charge of the Paterson Police Department, having been appointed to that position by Attorney General Matthew J. Platkin.
As Chief of Strategic Initiatives for the NYPD, Abbassi oversaw policy reforms for the entire NYPD police force. He served in the NYPD since 1997 and has successfully managed command of more than 30,000 members of the force as the Deputy Chief of Police. In the wake of the death in police custody of Eric Garner in Staten Island in 2014, Abbassi was selected by the New York City Police Commissioner to rebuild relationships between the police and the community in Staten Island. Not only were his efforts effective in rebuilding community trust with the police, he enhanced public safety and police morale while implementing reforms. Abbassi was awarded NYPD’s most prestigious command recognition, the Unit Citation, for crime and violence reduction in Staten Island in 2019. Officer in Charge Abbassi assumed control of the PPD on May 9, 2023 and released a strategic vision for the police department entitled PPD NEXTGEN.
Officer In Charge Abbassi is supported by:
- Captain Jafca Mandziuk of the New Jersey State Police is temporarily assigned to the Paterson Police Department reporting directly to the Interim OIC. Captain Mandziuk has assumed supervisory oversight over, among other things, the criminal investigative units within the Paterson Police Department. He serves as the Deputy OIC.
- Assistant Attorney General Joseph Walsh of the Office of Public Integrity and Accountability serves as the Senior Advisor to the OIC.
- Chief of Staff James Haggerty
- Captain Patrick Murray of the Paterson PD serves as the Executive Officer to the OIC.
- Lieutenant Sharon Easton of the Paterson PD leads the Community Policing Division.
- Sergeant Christopher Ravallese of the Paterson PD serves as the Public Information Officer.
- Deputy Attorney General Cynthia Vasquez, of the Division of Criminal Justice, serves as Legal Advisor on Investigative Operation and Violent Crime Suppression Efforts.
- Special Deputy Attorney General and Assistant Prosecutor Mary Catherine Ryan, of the Passaic County Prosecutor’s Office, serves as Legal Advisor on Professional Standards.
- DSFC John Cipot of the New Jersey State Police serves as the Administrative Officer to the OIC.
- DSG Jason Wiswesser and Det. Ross Soares of the New Jersey State Police assist the Paterson PD with investigation and crime suppression efforts and with coordinating training on both investigation and patrol tactics..