The Department of Law & Public Safety offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Given the wide variety of positions available in the Department, applicants should contact Human Resources for details regarding salary and benefits for a specific job.
- Health benefits. Full-time Department employees are eligible for the State Health Benefits Program (SHBP), which offers several types of coverage for medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug services.
- Retirement plans. The State of New Jersey operates several pension systems. Most full-time Department employees are enrolled in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), while State Troopers participate in the State Police Retirement System (SPRS) and law enforcement/juvenile correction officers are enrolled in the Police & Fire Retirement System (PFRS)
- Deferred compensation plans. Employees are able to enroll in a deferred compensation plan through Prudential Retirement to supplement individual pension benefits. Deferred compensation is voluntary and the rate of investment is determined by each employee.
- Holidays, vacation, and sick leave. The State offers 12 paid holidays a year. In addition, full-time employees accrue vacation and sick leave over the course of the year, with the rate of accrual varying depending on one’s position and seniority. Full-time employees also earn 3 personal/administrative days per year.
- Family leave. Department employees are entitled to 12 weeks of job-protected family leave, as well as a paid family leave insurance program during that 12-week period.
- Life insurance benefits. Current employees are eligible for contributory and non-contributory life insurance.
- State Employee Discount Program. A number of companies offer discounts on goods and services to current New Jersey state employees.