UPDATE: AG’s Office Releases Identities of the Decedent and Officers Involved in Fatal Shooting at Hotel in Woodbridge on June 13, 2024

For Immediate Release: June 14, 2024

Office of the Attorney General
– Matthew J. Platkin, Attorney General
Office of Public Integrity and Accountability
– Drew Skinner, Executive Director

For Further Information:

Media Inquiries-
Dan Prochilo

TRENTON — The Attorney General’s Office today identified the decedent and the officers involved in the fatal shooting that occurred on June 13, 2024 in Woodbridge, New Jersey. The civilian who died during the encounter has been identified as Karl Gregory, 46, of New York, New York.

According to the preliminary investigation, on Wednesday, June 12, 2024, officers from the Edison Police Department received information from an Automated License Plate Reader that a vehicle sought in connection with a shooting that occurred in New York City, which left the victim with life-threatening injuries, was in their area.

Officers from the Edison and Woodbridge police departments responded to the Royal Albert’s Palace hotel on King Georges Post Road in Woodbridge, where they located the unoccupied vehicle parked in the lot. Authorities notified the New York City Police Department (NYPD). Detectives with the NYPD responded and briefed Woodbridge police personnel on the New York criminal investigation.

On Thursday, June 13, 2024, in connection with the investigation, law enforcement at the hotel were conducting a civilian interview when, at approximately 12:21 a.m., the hotel’s elevator doors opened, and Mr. Gregory exited toward the lobby holding multiple bags. Upon seeing officers in the lobby, Mr. Gregory dropped his bags and reached into a black backpack. Gunfire was then exchanged between Mr. Gregory and Woodbridge Officers Drew Krupinski and Justin Nerney and NYPD Detective Matthew Mauro.

Mr. Gregory, as well as Woodbridge Officer Nerney and NYPD Detective Mauro, were struck during the exchange. Woodbridge PD officers immediately began rendering medical aid to Mr. Gregory until the arrival of EMS personnel. Mr. Gregory was later pronounced deceased at the scene. A handgun located near him was recovered and preserved. Multiple shell casings, fired from different weapons, were also recovered and will be compared with the firearms that were discharged during the incident.

Officer Nerney and Detective Mauro each sustained a gunshot wound. Both were transported to a New Brunswick hospital for treatment. Detective Mauro was released Thursday, and Officer Nerney was released Friday. The investigation is ongoing and no further information is being released at this time.

A 2019 law, N.J.S.A. 52:17B-107(a)2, requires the Attorney General’s Office to conduct investigations of a person’s death that occurs during an encounter with a law enforcement officer acting in the officer’s official capacity or while the decedent is in custody. It requires that all such investigations be presented to a grand jury to determine if the evidence supports the return of an indictment against the officer or officers involved.