If you would like to learn more about alcohol related support and treatment, information is available at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
The Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) regulates the manufacture, distribution, sale, and transportation of all alcoholic beverages in New Jersey. ABC’s statutory mission is to regulate and control the alcoholic beverage industry in order to foster moderation and responsibility in consumption of alcoholic beverages, to protect the citizens of New Jersey by assuring lawful, proper, and fair trade practices to maintain the stability of the industry, and protect the collection of state taxes imposed on alcoholic beverages.
Online Licenses & Permits
POSSE Online License, Permit and Brand Registration Applications
Corona Virus (Covid 19) Notices, Advisories and Special Rulings
For Retail Licensees and Municipal Clerks
Notice to All Municipal Clerks and Licensees:
The Division of Taxation (Taxation) will be updating its tax clearance portal with the latest 2021-2022 data on 5/12/21. Taxation will be notifying all Municipal Clerks of this update in a separate memorandum.
ABC Notice to Limited Breweries and other Licensees Concerning Covid 19 Vaccination Promotions:
Participation of Limited Breweries and Craft Manufacturers in the May 2021 Vaccine Promotion is controlled by Special Ruling 2021-03 and Special Ruling 2021-04. All licensees, please take note of the following:
- Any Craft Manufacturer may participate in the promotion. No ABC registration is required.
- One free drink per patron for on premise consumption.
- In order to participate, patron must display CDC vaccination card indicating first dose vaccination in the month of May 2021.
- There is no provision to compensate licensees for free drinks distributed as part of the vaccine promotion. Licensee participation is voluntary.
- The limited brewery tour requirement applies as defined in the May 28, 2019 Limited Brewery Special Ruling.
- Traditional consumption licensees (e.g. 32, 33, 34 etc.) may offer vaccine promotions that provide a single free drink without further action by ABC.
- Licensees must keep records of the number of free alcoholic beverages distributed.
Permission for other craft manufacturers to participate in the promotion was approved on May 10, 2021 by Special Ruling 2021-04.
Covid-19 Expansion of Premise Permits:
The expiration date of any Covid 19 Expansion of Premise permits issued by the Division has been extended by legislation P.L. 2021, c.15 to November 30, 2022. If a licensee received a Covid 19 Expansion of Premise permit last Summer or Fall, no renewal application is required. New Expansion of Premise permits require municipal zoning approval pursuant to the new statute before an application for a Covid 19 Expansion of Premise permit can be considered by ABC. See Administrative Order 2021-01 for details.
Seasonal Farm Market Permits
Applications for the new Daily and Seasonal Farm Market permits are now available for certain manufacturing licensees (limited brewery, restricted brewery, farm winery, plenary winery, craft distillery, cidery and meadery) and must be filed on-line through POSSE. No paper applications will be accepted. The clerk and the police chief will be notified through POSSE when the application is filed, however, no action by municipal officials is required. Details are available at SR 2021-01 or contact DAG Paul T. Urbish at (609) 376-9635.
ABC General Covid-19 Information
All ABC licensees, employees and patrons should familiarize themselves with the most recent guidance offered by the New Jersey Department of Health issued on May 28, 2021: https://nj.gov/health/legal/covid19/IndoorDiningGuidance.pdf
- Hand Sanitizer Manufacturing. Pursuant to Special Ruling (“SR”) 2020-03, the Division allowed plenary distillery and craft distillery licensees to manufacture hand sanitizer for as long as the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (“TTB”) Public Guidance 2020-1A remained in effect. That guidance, which was originally scheduled to expire on June 30, 2020, has been updated by TTB G 2020-1B and extended through June 30, 2021. Therefore, SR 2020-03 continues to be valid, and all provisions of that Special Ruling shall continue to apply. Questions about SR 2020-03 should be directed toDAG Paul T. Urbish at 609 376 9635.
- Cocktails to Go: Certain consumption licensees are permitted to sell for off premise consumption mixed drinks in up to 16 oz. containers with tamper evident seals. Disposable paper or plastic cups or lids that have holes are not permitted. No one may transport alcoholic beverages for a licensee without an ABC Transit Insignia except carriers with a valid ABC transportation permit. Formal guidance is in Advisory Notice 2020-06.
- Unless otherwise required by statute or regulation,all documents sent to the ABC should be submitted by email in PDF format to the appropriate ABC Bureau or staff member. Routine filing of paper documents is discouraged. In some cases. Any paper document sent to ABC by mail must also be accompanied by a PDF version on electronic media such as a thumb drive or by email. Please note that at this time OAG-L&PS will not accept submission of an OPRA request by fax or email, but general correspondence can be sent to ABCPublic@njoag.gov.
- No in person visits to ABC offices are permitted without an appointment. ABC staff will be available for telephone or video conferences. Applicants and licensees are encouraged to make payments due to ABC by E-check or credit card.
AG: Wildwood Shore Bar Liquor License Suspended for the Summer in Settlement Resolving ABC Charges for Repeated Violations of Covid-19 Executive Orders
For Immediate Release: April 26, 2021 Office of The Attorney General- Gurbir S. Grewal, Attorney GeneralDivision of Alcoholic Beverage Control- James Graziano, DirectorFor Further Information: Media Inquiries-Lisa Coryell609-292-4791Citizen...
AG Grewal Announces Charges Seeking to Suspend Liquor Licenses of 12 Bars and Restaurants Accused of Violating Gov. Murphy’s COVID-19 Executive Orders
For Immediate Release: December 30, 2020 Office of The Attorney General- Gurbir S. Grewal, Attorney GeneralDivision of Alcoholic Beverage Control- James Graziano, DirectorFor Further Information: Media Inquiries-Lisa Coryell609-292-4791Citizen...
The New Jersey Senate Confirms James B. Graziano as Director of the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control
For Immediate Release: December 17, 2020 Office of The Attorney General- Gurbir S. Grewal, Attorney GeneralDivision of Alcoholic Beverage Control- James Graziano, DirectorFor Further Information: Media Inquiries-Lisa Coryell609-292-4791Citizen...