The Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) regulates the manufacture, distribution, sale, and transportation of all alcoholic beverages in New Jersey. ABC’s statutory mission is to regulate and control the alcoholic beverage industry in order to foster moderation and responsibility in consumption of alcoholic beverages, to protect the citizens of New Jersey by assuring lawful, proper, and fair trade practices to maintain the stability of the industry, and protect the collection of state taxes imposed on alcoholic beverages.
Online Licenses & Permits
POSSE Online License, Permit and Brand Registration Applications
Advisories, Notices, Orders and Special Rulings
For Retail Licensees and Municipal Clerks
No in person visits to ABC offices are permitted without an appointment. ABC staff will be available for telephone or video conferences. Applicants and licensees are encouraged to make payments due to ABC by E-check or credit card.
If a licensee is unable to complete the renewal process or municipality is unable to act on a renewal by June 30, 2022, the licensee must apply for an Ad Interim Permit. The application will be available beginning June 13, 2022 only at POSSE online. Failure to submit a complete application online and pay all required fees will result in rejection of the application. Under no circumstances will the Division accept a paper application for an Ad Interim Permit. If you have any questions about the Ad Interim procedure, please contact Johnette Rainier at (609) 376-9817. For information on tax clearance contact the New Jersey Division of Taxation at (609) 322-6323 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Covid-19 Expansion of Premise Permits (Update August 8, 2022):
On August 3, 2022, Governor Murphy signed P.L. 2022, c. 85 (S.2364), which automatically extends the expiration date of any Covid-19 Expansion of Premise Permit issued by the Division to November 30, 2024. If a licensee possesses a Covid-19 Expansion of Premise permit, no renewal application is required. However, municipalities may file an objection to the continued operation of the permit with the Division. New Expansion of Premise permits require municipal zoning approval pursuant to P.L. 2021, c. 15 before an application for a Covid-19 Expansion of Premise permit can be considered by ABC. The Division will be issuing an advisory notice shortly to address P.L. 2022, c. 85.
ATTENTION – E-Mail is the preferred method to communicate with ABC. Due to continuing Covid 19 protocols, in-person visits to ABC offices are discouraged and none are permitted without an appointment. ABC staff are available by email and telephone. Applicants and licensees are encouraged to communicate by email. Payments due to ABC should be made by E-check or credit card. If you have a question or need information, send an email to ABCpublic@NJOAG.Gov for a prompt reply.
ABC subscribes to a telephone translation service. If English is not your first language, please tell the ABC representative that you would like a translator. You will be asked to provide the language and/or dialect of your choice. You will be placed on hold for a short time in order to allow ABC to contact the translation service.
Many ABC services are available through POSSE, the ABC on-line licensing system. Applications available on POSSE must be submitted on line. If you need assistance with passwords, online access codes, or any technical POSSE issue, please send an email to email@example.com with your license number and POSSE user ID and a brief description of the problem. If you call by phone, it may take longer to resolve your issue.
Publication of ABC historical records regarding ABC’s Discriminatory Enforcement Against Licensees serving LGBTQ+ Patrons from 1934 to 1967
The full records can also be accessed through the following link: ABC Bulletins related to LGBTQ+ (1934 to 1967)
Notice to All Municipal Clerks and Licensees:
The Division of Taxation (Taxation) will be updating its tax clearance portal with the latest 2022-2023 data on 5/16/22. Taxation will be notifying all Municipal Clerks of this update in a separate memorandum.
ABC Notice to Limited Breweries and other Licensees Concerning Covid 19 Vaccination Promotions:
Participation of Limited Breweries and Craft Manufacturers in the May 2021 Vaccine Promotion is controlled by Special Ruling 2021-03 and Special Ruling 2021-04. All licensees, please take note of the following:
- Any Craft Manufacturer may participate in the promotion. No ABC registration is required.
- One free drink per patron for on premise consumption.
- In order to participate, patron must display CDC vaccination card indicating first dose vaccination in the month of May 2021.
- There is no provision to compensate licensees for free drinks distributed as part of the vaccine promotion. Licensee participation is voluntary.
- The limited brewery tour requirement applies as defined in the May 28, 2019 Limited Brewery Special Ruling.
- Traditional consumption licensees (e.g. 32, 33, 34 etc.) may offer vaccine promotions that provide a single free drink without further action by ABC.
- Licensees must keep records of the number of free alcoholic beverages distributed.
Permission for other craft manufacturers to participate in the promotion was approved on May 10, 2021 by Special Ruling 2021-04.
Seasonal Farm Market Permits
Applications for the new Daily and Seasonal Farm Market permits are now available for certain manufacturing licensees (limited brewery, restricted brewery, farm winery, plenary winery, craft distillery, cidery and meadery) and must be filed on-line through POSSE. No paper applications will be accepted. The clerk and the police chief will be notified through POSSE when the application is filed, however, no action by municipal officials is required. Details are available at SR 2021-01 or contact the Counsel to the Director’s Office at (609) 984-2830.
ABC General Covid-19 Information
All ABC licensees, employees and patrons should familiarize themselves with the most recent guidance offered by the New Jersey Department of Health issued on May 28, 2021: https://nj.gov/health/legal/covid19/IndoorDiningGuidance.pdf
- Hand Sanitizer Manufacturing. Pursuant to Special Ruling (“SR”) 2020-03, the Division allowed plenary distillery and craft distillery licensees to manufacture hand sanitizer for as long as the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (“TTB”) Public Guidance 2020-1A remained in effect. That guidance, which was originally scheduled to expire on June 30, 2020, has been updated by TTB G 2020-1B and extended through June 30, 2021. Therefore, SR 2020-03 continues to be valid, and all provisions of that Special Ruling shall continue to apply. Questions about SR 2020-03 should be directed to the Counsel to the Director’s Office at (609) 984-2830.
- Cocktails to Go: Certain consumption licensees are permitted to sell for off premise consumption mixed drinks in up to 16 oz. containers with tamper evident seals. Disposable paper or plastic cups or lids that have holes are not permitted. No one may transport alcoholic beverages for a licensee without an ABC Transit Insignia except carriers with a valid ABC transportation permit. Formal guidance is in Advisory Notice 2020-06.
- Unless otherwise required by statute or regulation,all documents sent to the ABC should be submitted by email in PDF format to the appropriate ABC Bureau or staff member. Routine filing of paper documents is discouraged. In some cases. Any paper document sent to ABC by mail must also be accompanied by a PDF version on electronic media such as a thumb drive or by email. Please note that at this time OAG-L&PS will not accept submission of an OPRA request by fax or email, but general correspondence can be sent to ABCPublic@njoag.gov.
- No in person visits to ABC offices are permitted without an appointment. ABC staff will be available for telephone or video conferences. Applicants and licensees are encouraged to make payments due to ABC by E-check or credit card.
Acting AG Platkin: ABC Issues Special Ruling to Allow Third-Party Delivery Services to Deliver Package Goods and Cocktails to NJ Customers’ Doorsteps
“Third-Party Delivery Permit” Promotes E-Commerce to Benefit Businesses and Customers For Immediate Release: August 26, 2022 Office of The Attorney General- Matthew J. Platkin, Acting Attorney GeneralDivision of Alcoholic Beverage Control- James Graziano, DirectorFor...
50 Years Later, New Jersey Rights a Historical Wrong: AG Grewal Formally Apologizes for Office’s Role in Shutting Down the State’s Gay Bars
AG Grewal, ABC Director Graziano Vacate 126 Enforcement Actions Brought Against ABC License Holders that Served LGBTQ+ Patrons from 1933 to 1967For Immediate Release: June 29, 2021 Office of The Attorney General- Gurbir S. Grewal, Attorney GeneralDivision of Alcoholic...
AG: Wildwood Shore Bar Liquor License Suspended for the Summer in Settlement Resolving ABC Charges for Repeated Violations of Covid-19 Executive Orders
For Immediate Release: April 26, 2021 Office of The Attorney General- Gurbir S. Grewal, Attorney GeneralDivision of Alcoholic Beverage Control- James Graziano, DirectorFor Further Information: Media Inquiries-Lisa Coryell609-292-4791Citizen...