Can lawyers within the Division of Criminal Justice provide me with legal assistance?

Unfortunately, no. The Attorney General and this Division receive an enormous number of inquiries that involve legal issues or disputes. However, this Division, under the authority of the Attorney General, is authorized by statute to render legal advice to departments, agencies and instrumentalities of State government only. [N.J.S.A. 52:17a-4(e)]. The Attorney General is not empowered to render legal advice to private citizens, non-governmental attorneys or organizations.

In this instance, as a private citizen, you do not qualify to receive the type of legal advice you are seeking from the Division. The most appropriate source of information and legal advice concerning the subject of your inquiry would be private counsel of your choice. As an alternative, should you fall within required income limits, your local Legal Services Office may be of some assistance to you.

If you wish to conduct your own research, you may find all New Jersey Statutes available free of charge on the Internet at www.njleg.state.nj.us

I think my neighbors are involved in an illegal scam. How can I report them? Will they know it was me who reported them?

You may report them anonymously to the Criminal Justice tipline at 1-866-TIPS-4-CJ or by using our confidential online form.

How can I report insurance fraud?

You can call 1-877-55-FRAUD or by using the Office of The Insurance Fraud Prosecutor’s confidential online form

How can I report an environmental crime?

To report an environmental incident impacting New Jersey, 24 hours a day, please contact the NJ Department of Environmental Protection at 1-877-WARNDEP.

Where can I find the Sex Offender Internet Registry?
Where can I find Megan's Law Information?
How do I, as a parent, help my kids stay out of gangs?

Gang Awareness Guide (2.2mb pdf) plug-in

Many gang members say they joined because the gang offered them support, caring, and a sense of order and purpose -al the things that most parents try to give their kids. The odds are that the better you meet these needs, the less need you children will see for gangs. Here are some parenting skills that are especially important:

  • Talk with listen to your child. Spend some special time with each child.
  • Put a high value on education and help your child to do his or her best in school. Do everything possible to prevent dropping out
  • Help your kids identify positive role models and heroes – especially people right in your community.
  • Do everything possible to involve your children in supervised, positive group activities
  • Praise them for doing well and encourage them to do their very best – to stretch their skills to the utmost
  • Know what your children are doing and whom they are with. Know about their friends and their friends’ families.,
  • Don’t forget to talk about gangs. The best time is before there’s a major problem. Tell your child that:

    • you disapprove of gangs,
    • you don’t want to see your child hurt or arrested,
    • you see your child as special, and worth protecting,
    • you want to help your child with problems,
    • family members don’t keep secrets from each other, and
    • you and other parents are working together against gangs
    • Don’t forget to listen to your child as well.
What are the guidelines for carrying a gun in New Jersey?
Can a victim be notified of the status of his/her offender?

The New Jersey Victim Information Notification Everyday (VINE) Service will tell you if an offender is in custody in the State of New Jersey and will give you other important information. VINE will also let you register telephone numbers where you can be notified if an offender is released or transferred.

Register with VINE – Call toll-free 1-877-846-3465 from a touch-tone phone and follow the directions. Please have any of the following Offender information ready: Offender Name, Date of Birth, SBI (State Bureau of Identification) No

Leave your number. If the offender is in custody, you can leave a phone number to be notified if there is a change in the offender’s status. Do not leave a phone number that is answered by a switchboard. Enter the area code, phone number followed by the pound (#) key.

Create a PIN. When the VINE Service asks, make up and enter a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) that will be easy for you to remember. Write your PIN down for future reference. The New Jersey VINE service will ask for the PIN code when it calls you.

Where can I find Directives/Guidelines?

Directives/Guidelines (DCJ, Law Enforcement Resources)